[Rhodes22-list] Electric Outboards

jimtracyjohnston at centurytel.net jimtracyjohnston at centurytel.net
Tue May 17 23:13:07 EDT 2011

Compare the vinyl record to the reel to reel tape recoder to the eight
track to the cassette to the I-Pod etc ......... The development of the
electric motor and batteries is going through the same advances. Now
the ability to charge batteries with solar or wind has also experienced
imrovements. Because more batteries might (will) be needed the location
of the batteries remains a concern. Back in the lazerette area would be
O.K. now that there is no gas engine or combustiblese stored back
there, however, too much weight in the stern can affect your sailing
performance. It would be nice if the floor in the cockpit had access to
a battery storage area. This would not be in the cabin living area with
possible gases from charging endangering crew and closer to the ceter
line of the boat. Solar panels take very little room and are low
maintenance. Add a wind generator and you never run out of power. You
can't say that for a gas engine. Be aware of the amount of time it will
take to recharge a bank of batteries with solar or wind only. How much
do you use your boat? Does it sit several days that will allow
charging? How long do you motor your boat? Are you required to motor
out a river or canal a long way before you can sail? We are very close
to an even greener recreation and not trying the electric alternative
would be like missing all of the music we listened to with the old
record players, recorders and no Bose speakers.
Jim J "Loon"