[Rhodes22-list] Electric Outboards (2)

peter klappert peterklappert at comcast.net
Wed May 18 10:54:41 EDT 2011

Thanks to everyone who replied (or might reply). The R22 list really is one of the boat's biggest selling points.

I can't & probably needn't reply to all that's been contributed, but here's a start.

(1) I agree the technology is moving ahead fast & I like the vinyl/tape/8-track/cassette/cd/mp3 analogy. I've been there all the way back to 78s (pre-vinyl) and only skipped the 8-track stage. Most of those media were pretty durable even after technology moved on, but I'd hate to find I'd laid out about 4k for an 8-track outboard.

(2) I'm grateful for the link to the Yahoo group, which I hadn't yet discovered. Since I tend to over-research things, my question to the list was partly to find out if a lot of research was even worth it at this point. Answer: Yes.

(3) A couple of people have said I need to consider how/where I'll use the boat. Right now all I've got are hunches.
    The R22 will be kept on a lift, with shore power, at my dock in Apollo Beach. I'm on a broad & deep canal which runs about a third or half mile (maybe less) to the point in Tampa Bay where you can cut the engine & sail. My canal runs East-West right along with the prevailing winds, and the channel at the Bay end does have strong tides.
    I sure hope/plan to do some trailering. That will mean unfamiliar waters and overnights, so the question of how far you can go on a charge is a real concern. Torquedo sells a roll-up solar charger, but it's intended for the Ultralight & Travel models.

(4) I wish the R22 did have a compartment under the cockpit suitable for batteries.

(5) Rudder-mounting a small electric hadn't occurred to me & I'll sure look into it.

(6) Rick asks, vis-a-vis trolling, "Why not just sail?" Not sure if he means troll while sailing or sail instead of trolling. Since I'll be soloing a lot, sailing while trolling sounds like a big challenge, maybe a big pain.
    When I first joined the list I mentioned that I learned on an 18' Bahamian sailing dinghy, a catboat made of a resinous wood called "horseflesh" that's heavier than water. Heavy canvas sail, 21' tree trunk stepped in the bow, no stays, no centerboard or keel--just a big skeg. As if the Green Turtle wasn't heavy enough already, my father added a 5 hp/1 cylinder inboard, mainly for trolling. The boat had a beautiful raised transom, like an old longboat. It would have been criminal to mount an outboard on it. But the GT needed auxiliary power of some kind: in light winds you were essentially becalmed, and it could take half a mile to come about. (Maybe it just seemed like half a mile.)

I'll try to attach a photo of a Bahamian dinghy from last year's Calendar of Wooden Boats. This one's 13'.

Again, thanks for all the insights, ponderables and imponderables.

DC/FL