[Rhodes22-list] Compass & Jack Stands

John Shulick jsbudda at verizon.net
Wed Nov 30 18:58:46 EST 2011

Hi to all,

Joe

You can get the boat off the trailer to do the bottom I refinished the
entire hull with the trailer in place.
DO THIS ON A FLAT SURFACE !  What you will need is 4 bottle jacks (3 ton
lift) about 50 or so (more never hurts) 4"X4"x2' pieces of wood for cribbing
and one 6"x2"x6' board to support the keel. You will also need 6  1"x2"
sticks cut to keep the boat upright. You jack up the whole trailer working
one corner a bit at a time with the jacks and putting the cribbing under the
trailer for safety. Once the boat and trailer is raised enough, you put the
cribbing under the keel with the 6' 2X6 as a bridge for support. at this
time custom cut the sticks to prop up under the hull curve to keep the boat
up right. After these are in place slowly lower the tailer a bit at a time
till the wheels are back on the ground. You want the boat about 2" off the
bunkers with just enough clearance to remove the bunkers completely allowing
access to the entire hull. As a safety measure I would always put the
bunkers back on when not working on the boat.
Here are a couple of picts. Good luck on the project.

John S
http://old.nabble.com/file/p32886770/DSCF0107_1.jpeg
http://old.nabble.com/file/p32886770/DSCF0105_1_2.jpg

2.  What is the best (that is easiest) way to get my boat off the trailer to
apply bottom paint?  I don't want to           buy jack stands if I can
avoid it.

Thanks, and Happy bird.

Joe Camp
s/v John Dawson