[Rhodes22-list] genoa size

Chris Geankoplis napoli68 at charter.net
Mon Oct 17 01:54:17 EDT 2011

Thanks for the info.

-----Original Message-----
From: rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org
[mailto:rhodes22-list-bounces at rhodes22.org] On Behalf Of Dennis McNeely
Sent: Sunday, October 16, 2011 3:36 PM
To: The Rhodes 22 Email List
Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] genoa size

Rick -

Great catch on sitting to leeward so gravity helps open the genoa.

Regarding the whisker pole, Forespar recommends that the sheet & clew be
free to slide relative to the end of the pole rather than securing the
pole directly to the clew (or to a knot through the clew). That freedom
prevents the genoa from slamming the pole against a stay if you need to
pull off a sudden maneuver with the pole deployed. See the second
paragraph on page 2 of
http://www.ftp.tognews.com/Projects/Whisker_Pole_Instructions/Whisker%20pole
%20instructions.pdf.
For those interested, that same document has an illustration on page 2
showing how to use the genoa sheets as foreguys & afterguys, but
suggests rigging separate lines if the pole is to be left up for a
relatively long time.

Having said the above, if securing the pole to an overhand loop through
the clew is working for you - beauty. I make no claim to being king of
the hill when it comes to sailing; all too often I'm in 'that boat' -
the one out on the lake whose antics are providing other sailors with
hilarity and mirth.

Dennis

On 10/16/2011 1:46 PM, Rick wrote:
> If you use a whisker pole, an overhand loop gives you an attachment point
> cow hitch won't.  Otherwise, the cow hitch is the least troublesome.
>
> To tack the 175 genny, just relax and let the sail backwind.  Only uncleat
> the tensioned sheet after the bow has come across the wind.
>
> If the genny won't fill in light air, sit to leeward.  The boat heel will
> allow the weight of the sail to form enough camber to pull in less than 1
> knot apparent.
>
> Rick

heavy air and too heavy/floppy in light air. And even with plastic rods
covering the shrouds and cylindrical vinyl turnbuckle covers, it gets
readily