[Rhodes22-list] genoa size

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Sun Oct 16 09:02:13 EDT 2011

Hi Paul,
You asked about lighter edge fabric and the answer is yes - a lighter
material on the suncover does allow the sail to hold its shape better
in light air.

When we had our old genny repaired and reconditioned at SailCare, we
had them replace the sacrificial Sunbrella with a lighter weight UV
coated Dacron. I forget what it was called but it is lighter weight
and it is available only in white. It also doesn't last as long but
seeing as how we got 10 years out of the old Sunbrella, by the time
this stuff goes, it will be time for a new sail anyway.

The good news is that the sail holds its shape better (much better)
in light air. Having the lighter material on the sail has reminded me
what a great sail the 175 is for a Rhodes 22. We are still thinking
of getting a smaller sail (say a 150) that will hold its shape better
when furled way down but the new suncover material on the 175 has
complicated that decision.

BTW, the UPS is great fun and works really well in lots of
conditions, but you have to rig it when you want to use it and take
it down afterwards.

Best,
Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless