[Rhodes22-list] genoa size

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Tue Oct 18 14:21:21 EDT 2011

Dr. K.,

Great picture of your Rhodes and interesting pictures of the surgeries.

On a very close reach I need about 3 knots of wind to inflate the 175 and at
5 knots I could probably start furling for more speed.  My 175 doesn't get
used that often but when it does I swear I'll never go with a smaller sail.
You may not furl a smaller Genoa as much but you'll likely still do a lot of
furled sailing with any headsail bigger than a jib.

If I don't have enough wind to tack the big sail I find it easier to furl it
to a more manageable size before tacking.

Here's a post from last year:

Rob,

Here's a West Marine article that supports a smaller furling headsail:

"One area of caution: we think you can effectively reduce your headsail area
by about 30%–from a 130% to a 100%–but not much further. We've all seen ads
in sailing magazines which imply that your 150% genoa can be rolled into a
storm jib, but that is nonsense. If you sail in an area where the prevailing
winds are light in one season and heavy in another, you'll probably want two
furling headsails: a 135% and a 110%, for example."

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/WestAdvisorView?langId=-1&storeId=11151&catalogId=10001&page=Roller-Furling-Reefing-Systems
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/WestAdvisorView?langId=-1&storeId=11151&catalogId=10001&page=Roller-Furling-Reefing-Systems

SAIL magazine recently had an article on headsail size and stated that
headsails lose their effectiveness beyond 150% for most boats.  I assume
they were talking about close reaches and I'm not convinced that a 175% on a
Rhodes22 will move you faster than a smaller Genoa on a close reach in the
same conditions.  However, you aren't always racing another boat on a close
reach and that big sail will definitely give you a lot of power on a beam
reach or off the wind.

I still think bigger is better when it comes to head sails.

Good luck!

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  AT EASE
Kent Island, MD