[Rhodes22-list] Curious About Your Rhodes Choice Stories

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Thu Oct 20 16:13:44 EDT 2011

I had sailed Sunfish and Hobies back in college and went out as a guest on a
variety of cruisers over the next 30 years.  I had the bug but it didn't
seem practical to buy a boat until I retired and had the time to use it.

Some people think that looking for a boat is as much fun as owning a boat.
I disagree but looking at boats unintentionally became a hobby for me.  My
wife described it as an obsession but it kept me off the streets.  The more
I researched boats the more I realized that selecting the right boat would
be one of the most difficult decisions of my life.  Every boat is slightly
different and I had no idea if I wanted a small daysailer or a big cruiser.
I eventually realized that I should purchase something small and inexpensive
as my first boat and then move up to the right boat for my preferred type of
sailing.

I had met Stan and seen the Rhodes22 at the Annapolis boat shows but my
general impression was that the boat was overpriced.  It also seemed like it
had too many bells and whistles that drove up the cost.  Over the years the
Rhodes became my benchmark for comparing other boats.  Eventually the
overpricing changed into a good value for the quality, and most of the bells
and whistles changed into worthwhile options.

I purchased a 1986 recycled Rhodes delivered in March of 2005.  One of the
best things about buying from Stan was that I could pick and choose options
(expensive) and put them on a used boat (cheap).  I got exactly what I
wanted for a reasonable price.

After six seasons of sailing I've discovered that I'm definitely a daysailor
but like the idea that I could spend a night or two on the boat if I ever
get adventuresome.  I find it interesting that two of the main features of
the Rhodes are its cruising and trailering capabilities, yet I use neither.
There are daysailers out there with deeper, heavier keels that probably sail
better in most conditions and don't have money tied up in cruising options.
Yet everytime I find one they don't have a lot of the features of the Rhodes
that I just don't want to give up.  The Rhodes has ruined me on all other
boats.

Overall the Rhodes is more enjoyable to sail and what's more important than
that?  It's easy to sail, fun to sail, and comfortable to sail.  With the
poptop up the cabin becomes an extended, covered part of the already
oversized cockpit.  Try to find a better sailing environment on any boat
under 40 feet.

No boat owner aside from a Rhodes owner should ever divide quality sailing
time into boat costs.  Cost per hour of use, the Rhodes has to be the
cheapest boat out there.

Researching sailboats is still a major hobby for me.  Most first-sailboat
owners move up to bigger boats.  So far I'm convinced that my next boat will
just be a newer Rhodes22.

Buying a sailboat before I retired was absolutely one of the best decisions
of my life.

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  AT EASE
Kent Island, MD