[Rhodes22-list] Curious About Your Rhodes Choice Stories

Lowe, Rob rlowe at vt.edu
Thu Oct 20 14:34:59 EDT 2011

I first was introduced to the Rhodes through former owners Mark and Julie Kaynor.  I had been on smaller boats with open cockpits.  The Rhodes was my first midsized boat with a cabin.  My first wow factor was the IMF and furling jib.  Never been on a boat with these features.  Get on the boat, motor out of the slip, and be sailing in minutes.  I'm hooked!  Add to that the big cockpit, nice cabin, pop top (never seen one of these either) and I've got to have one of these.  Now I didn't know much about the Rhodes and bought mine through this list (after Mark found it for me) after looking at some photos.  Drove out to St. Louis to pick it up.  Got it at a great price.  Imagine my disappointment when the boat I bought had standard main and hank on jib.  Oh well, we have a boat.  We've enjoyed her the 8 years we've had her but I've always wanted the IMF and furling jib.  That's why I bought my new boat and am selling my current boat.  The new boat is a Rhodes but has the features I've always wanted.  Since sailing the Rhodes I've come to love the ease of handling, the sturdiness of the boat, the comfort of the cockpit, and the fact that it's about impossible to capsize (the admiral is especially fond of this feature).  I love my current one so much I now have two! - Rob

S/V Getaway
1976 Rhodes 22