[Rhodes22-list] Combination tiller engine control

David Bradley dwbrad at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 17:17:19 EDT 2011

The bracket on the motor is an inverted "U" shape, bolted to the bottom
portion of the cowling where it is stronger.  The bracket lifts off with the
cowling - no connection to chassis.

I regularly used the tiller connection going into and out of our slip in
Seattle, where we had very tight turns and lots of big spensive boats
around.  I disconnected it when we got into open water, since the tiller is
much lighter to handle without the motor attached.  Plenty of steering
control while underway under power, and easier to raise the motor quickly
when unfurling sails.

When we finally get in the water again in Long Island Sound (sat out the
entire summer waiting for a mooring and doing house renovations...), we'll
need it much less frequently.

My motor does not have a separate steering handle.  It's one of the last of
the Yamaha 9.9s that Stan had on ice, before they changed the starter and
throttle remote control.  I love the set-up.

Dave