[Rhodes22-list] Solar Cell Replacement/Charger

PBR pbryanriley at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 18:12:03 EDT 2011

I would guess that your panels are just fine.  Unless they are banged
up or the top layer is totally blocking the sun they should be
working.  They photovoltaic part doesnt really wear out, it is usually
the electrical wiring connections and solder joints that fail.  Just
try to test them and see if they put out say 15-20 volts in good sun
(that is open circuit voltage when disconnected from battery).  I
don't know how much wattage the GB panels put out but there are pretty
standard 5 watts (like I have) and 15 watts.  You can probably guess
the wattage by comparing the size to those you can find on line at
West Marine, Northern Tool, Defender, etc.   I doubt they are 30
watts, if they were, you would need a charge controller to avoid
overcharging the batteries.  At 15 or 5 watts "they" say you don't
need a controller because the battery can handle the max current at
any time.  If you have 2, and they are 15 watts, and you have only 1
battery, then you might be shortening your battery life.  If you have
2 panels for 2 batteries you are fine.
-Patrick