[Rhodes22-list] To anyone on the list that enjoys a mystery

Jim Connolly jbconnolly at comcast.net
Sun Sep 18 17:28:30 EDT 2011

I have a mystery.  I also have a theory of what happened that I may share
later if you wish, but it seems unlikely .  I will share with you my
observations and let you suggest what happened, if you like.

13 August:  After a nice sail, I secured the boat and went ashore on the
launch.  Since I was planning on being away on vacation and would not be up
to the boat for two weeks, I was careful to secure the boat for leaving in
the manner I always do.  Conditions were as follows:

Companionway door inserted ("nice" side out), Sliding hatch shut and locked.
Keys in the normal "undisclosed location";

Rudder raised and tied amidships with spare dock line between both aft
cleats, half hitch around tiller;

Cockpit and cabin with everything in its' proper place, totes stored under
seats, etc.

26 August, I went to haul the boat in anticipation of Irene.  This is how I
found the boat:

Launch driver noted on the way out that the boat had a starboard list,
probably because the rudder was hard over.  When we got out there, it was.
Also, one of the Rubbermaid totes under the seat was out on the cockpit
sole, cover off and containing about 4" of water, spare fire extinguisher
floating along with a few other items.

Companionway door inserted, but nice side in ( I think), sliding hatch
locked, keys out in the starboard side seat.

Inside the cabin, cushions thrown all over and wet, porta-potty unclipped
from latch and sitting on its' front on the left side of the mast support
post.  Boat washing bucket in normal place between the step and icebox, also
containing several inches of water.  Bilge full.

Items missing:  lid to one Rubbermaid tote, and maybe one dockline.

Items not missing:  VHF radio and 7x50 marine binoculars

Item not previously known to be on the boat, ~4' white fiberglass stick

I was in a hurry to haul, so I didn't do the CSI thing.  I believe the water
to be fresh water, not salt.

Feel free to discuss this among yourselves.

Jim Connolly

s/v Inisheer

'85 recycled '03