[Rhodes22-list] Carl's Bahama (Mis?) Adventure 2011

Dennis McNeely mcneelyd at site-solutions.com
Wed Sep 28 17:57:31 EDT 2011

Greetings to all - Sassy and I have a Rhodes 22 berthed just outside the
back door, near the mouth of the Detroit River :-) Taking trips up the river
to Lake Saint Claire is interesting, especially around the 4th of July, when
fireworks from various cities light up the horizon.

Traveling the other direction into Lake Erie can have some similarities to
the Rob's Golf Stream trip. For example - I learned that when beating upwind
against 4-6 foot waves, you're well advised to have the pop top down. Sassy
wasn't amused when green water sluiced over the foredeck and soaked her and
the clothes we had aboard for a week-long trip! That would be lesson 1.

Lesson 2 would be that it isn't wise to crack a smile when the soggy admiral
casts a dark look your way - I narrowly escaped having to walk the plank. Of
course, it didn't help that I went beyond just cracking a smile; my laugh
could be clearly heard onshore ;-)

We're looking forward to hearing further of your adventure Rob, and the
lessons you learned - as well as getting an education from others on the
list who have 'been there and done that'.

FWIW, I was able to open the original docx files by using Word (or Open
Office) by pasting the complete link from Rob's email in the "open file"
dialog box. Either Word or Open Office will open the URL directly - assuming
your version of the program supports the 'docx' file type.

Dennis & Sassy
s/v Magic Moments
berthed in Gibraltar, Michigan

Please remove most of the quoted text in your reply - leave just enough to
provide context. This keeps messages smaller for faster downloading while
onboard (and easier reading).

bladerunner12345 wrote:

> I am finally getting around to writing about my family's adventure in May,
> before the critics (both literary and seamanship) throw me to the dogs,

	-> snipped <-