[Rhodes22-list] Holes in the Hull and Brown Recluse Spiders

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Tue Apr 17 09:37:53 EDT 2012

I don't like spiders or wasps and they love my boat.  Fortunately they leave
the cabin alone but they're everywhere on the outside.  Wasps like to build
nests under the cockpit seats and in the coaming cut-out where I reach in to
grap my stored sheets and keys.  This year I discovered a nest in there
while I was out to sea where I couldn't run away screaming like a little
girl.

On the bright side spider webs make excellent telltales.

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  AT EASE
Kent Island, MD

I just thought I would pass along a method I have been using to minimize the
insects in my Rhodes.  My boat is kept in my yard year round.  From campers
I learned that tossing a bounce dryer sheet or two inside the cabin seems to
be very effective at keeping out the bugs.  I don't know if it affects
spiders directly or just the prey don't like it but I have had very good
luck at keeping spiders out of my camper and boat.  (garage, pumphouse, kids
playhouse, etc. are full of them so I should do same there).  Last year I
had wasps building homes behind the cockpit seats so this spring I tossed a
couple of
dryer sheets in the laz too.   Don't know if that works yet.
-Patrick