[Rhodes22-list] Some Maintentance Qustions

Bob and Kathy Quinn bobandkathyr22 at bellsouth.net
Sun Apr 22 21:11:24 EDT 2012

Ron:  I'd fill the black water holding tank with water and then have it pumped out through the deck outlet.  Most marinas in your area should have a pump out facility and some have "Miss Poop" barges that will come to you to pump your stuff out.

Yes, I would use a black holding tank treatment, which you can get at Wallmart (cheaper) or West Marine.  Basically you "prime" your holding tank by putting in the treatment and a couple of quarts of water (no more than a gallon) so that any solids will break down.  The treatment should also help with the "stink" factor.

Not sure how your boat is plumbed so cannot answer question on valve position.  However, if the valve is positioned 90 degrees from the pipe run, the contents of the toilet will go no where.  The valve handle needs to follow the contour of the plumbed pipe to empty into the holding tank.  With this in mind you should be able to figure the flow to see if your boat is plumbed for overboard discharge.

I also believe that you must have the outlet to the sea (lake in your case) "sealed" so that you cannot accidently pump overboard.  The Coast Guard will check for that when they do "safety checks."  The Coast Guard Aux in your area may be a good source of information on this topic.

Cheers,  Bob in FL on the "NoKaOi 3"