[Rhodes22-list] bumped : capsize discussion continued, masthead float?

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Fri Aug 24 18:43:30 EDT 2012

One thing to remember about an R22 is that the hull shape makes it
difficult to just plug a number into a formula. the R22 has a much
wider beam at the deck (the published beam - 8ft?) than at the
waterline - about 6ft. I think the waterline depth is what you want
for most formulas.

Henderson's "Sailing in Windy Weather" and Adlard Coles "Heavy
Weather Sailing" (as updated) have contributed greatly to my
understanding of how wind and waves work. I highly recommend them
both even if you never have any intention of sailing in that stuff.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD