[Rhodes22-list] bumped : capsize discussion continued, masthead float?

Shawn Boles shawn.sustain at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 15:38:42 EDT 2012

Hi:

Richard Henderson in 'Sailing in Windy Weather' gives a Capsize Screening
Formula - CSF = Beam <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beam_%28nautical%29> / (
Displacement <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Displacement_%28fluid%29>/64.2)1/3
-

Values less than 2 are considered to indicate a higher tendency to capsize.
It is a rough guide developed after the Fastnet disaster in 1979. I assume
beam is ca 8' - if you know displacement you can calculate CSF.

Cheers,
Shawn