[Rhodes22-list] AC converter

Jay Curry jac2 at wavecable.com
Tue Dec 4 12:10:11 EST 2012

A Deep cycle charger, DC charger from an outboard and solar panels are all
very good things to have. A trickle charger is fine and won't damage a good
deep cycle battery, but cannot regulate the current the battery needs. The
best type of charger (generally called three stage) provides stages of
charging depending what the battery charge state is. At low charge levels,
it will provide a strong current and reduce that current gradually until
only a small maintenance current is needed.

In my case, I opted for a solar panel on each battery and have an outboard
that will charge both batteries when running. I also use Optima batteries.
They are fully sealed and can even be used on their sides. I consider them
more than worth the cost.  You cannot find a better marine application
battery in my opinion. In ten years I never had to replace one and in that
time, they went through some hard conditions and many full discharge cycles
without any loss of performance. For my R22, I do not see the need for an
onboard shore powered charger yet.

Inverters are not what they are cracked up to be. In my larger boat, I had a
microwave and other AC dedicated devices. In each case, the current draw of
the device far exceeded what was reasonable for any normal use. If you have
100 AMP Hours available from your batteries and the device draws 10 amps or
similar levels to operate, you will run your battery down in a single normal
use.

In considering an inverter, note the AMP Hour total of your batteries and
compare it to the current draw in amps of the device you wish to power and
how long you want to power it. The math on this is fairly simple. I am sure
others on the list will have recommendations on what ratio of current draw
to available AMP Hours is reasonable for normal use. I never worried about
the ratio since the math told me the inverter was useless and hard on the
batteries even with the engine and charger operating. All the devices you
wish to charge can be done easily from a 12V Battery since charge functions
for them draw very little current. Just get car chargers.

The last and best item to reduce battery draw is LED lights. It is worth the
cost and you will be forever grateful for them if you are on the water for a
few days without access to shore power. 1 standard incandescent bulb can
draw ten times or more current than what an LED will. In my experience on
the larger boat, the anchor light, interior lights and the fridge, drew the
batteries down to a low charge after only one night. We changed all the
interior and running lights to led and never had another problem. The first
thing I did to my Rhodes was install LED lighting.

There are a host of 12V appliances available even TV's. Truck stops are
great places to find them. In any case here are the rules I go by for all I
do on the boat. Get supplemental charge devices like solar panels and engine
chargers for use away from the dock, do the current-draw math, install at
least two batteries with a switch, avoid dependence on AC for ANY items used
away from the dock, manage use to the capacity of one battery and go LED.
You will be glad you did.

Jay Curry
Port Angeles, WA