[Rhodes22-list] Cold Weather Sailing

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Wed Dec 12 13:45:24 EST 2012

Jim,
I sail in South Carolina on an inland lake and have zero experience with
ice bergs, but I can tell you that everything gets very stiff in cold weather
 including the sails until the sun warms them up. Also, pay special
attention to  the moisture that will freeze to the cockpit sole. It is  extremely
slippery and will remain that way until it  melts.
Dress in layers as you will probably be taking some clothing off if  the
day warms up. I've actually been down to shorts and a T shirt by noon down
here. (January) The cockpit with the white sides reflects a lot sunlight and
will warm you quickly. I actually like sailing during the winter months
because  of a lack of other boat traffic except for a really infrequent
fisherman. Hot  beverages to start the day and then some good rum for anti freeze
for the  system. Also, it really starts to get cold the minute the sun goes
beneath the  horizon.

Rummy

In a message dated 12/12/2012 12:29:47 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,