[Rhodes22-list] Cold Weather Sailing

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Thu Dec 13 11:38:12 EST 2012

Jim,

Congratulations and welcome aboard!

Looks like you've received some good advice from the list.

Most important--don't fall in the water.  If you do you die.  Never leave
the cockpit.  If you do, tether yourself so you won't reach the water if you
fall.  If you're tethered to the boat but still land in the water you may
not be able to get back on board.  Google hypothermia.  You'll be shocked at
its effect.

I dress like I'm snow skiing.  Most important keep your ears, hands and feet
warm.  You'll need mittens not gloves.  If you don't you'll be miserable.
Then keep you head warm followed by the rest of your body.  I've worn a neck
gator to cover my face with goggles, but when it's that cold you can only
stay comfortable for about an hour.  I'll go out if it's above 40 degrees
but usually it needs to hit 50 to be worth it.

I don't think the furling systems will freeze.

Good luck!

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  AT EASE
Kent Island, MD