[Rhodes22-list] Adjustable Blocks next to winches

jimtracyjohnston at centurytel.net jimtracyjohnston at centurytel.net
Tue Feb 21 20:02:04 EST 2012

Austin, A simple rule of thumb is move the jib sheet block forward when
you are running with the wind (Wind is coming over your stern or from
behind you). Move the blocks closer to midship when you are sailing on
a broad reach (The wind is coming across the side of your boat.). Move
the jib sheet block back as you "beat" into the wind (wind is coming
over your bow.) Every boat is a little different with different sail
sizes, roller furling vs hanked sails, weight distribution of the boat
etc..... All of this makes sailing the joy it is. If you don't want to
tune your sails, you can have just as much fun without sail
adjustments, you will know when you should reduce sail. I have not been
in any situation, other than at the dock or mooring, where zero sail is
suggested. You need movement to steer. In a big wind your boat can be
pushed around without any sail, however, some sail is needed so you
control the wind. Several of our ole' salt sailing friends (mostly men)
try to use the motor as little as possible even leaving and returning
to our lift, dock or mooring. Few of us have a boat without a few
scuffs and scrapes. Jim "Loon"