[Rhodes22-list] Ballast ?

Dennis Frappier dennisf at maine.rr.com
Fri Jan 20 20:59:52 EST 2012

I am a novice and have never sailed on a Rhodes.  On the lake that I live on
in Maine we often have SW or Westerly winds 20-30 knots.  There is about 5
miles to the other side and it is all wide open.  Is that too much wind for
the Rhodes?  Of course there are lots of times when there is less wind, but
often by late afternoon that wind comes off the mountains on the other side
right across to where our mooring is.
I am looking forward to adventures on the lake but have much to learn. I
have the floor open on the '74 and there are 2 pieces of concrete on the
floor directly under the mast and approximate the weight of them to be about
160 to 200 lbs.   What size water tank should I be looking for and should it
be located?
Thanks,
Dennis