[Rhodes22-list] Ballast ?

John Shulick jsbudda at verizon.net
Sat Jan 21 21:14:49 EST 2012

Slim, Lee, Goodnews,

 I understand that I may not gain much and that I may end up removing them a
week after putting them on but how do you figure 200 lbs ballast would court
a potential catastrophe ? I have considered putting the weight in the hull
but bolting it to the bottom of the shoal keel would add considerable
mechanical advantage over just sticking it under the floorboards. I was
mistaken in my calculation of increase in whetted area it should have been
288 sq/in or ~ 2 sq/ft still just not that much IMO. It would be like having
an extra invisible crew member who always knows when to switch sides. If
200lbs of ballast is such a radical mod, here's another thought. How about
chucking the swing centerboard and replacing it with a retractable dagger
board with a lead torpedo at the bottom? That would eliminate the open slot
in the hull which I believe to be a major drag component. Phillip Rhodes did
not design boats in the modern era of computer modeling and space age
materials. I wonder how he would build the R22 today ?

Tinkerers of the world UNITE !

JohnS