[Rhodes22-list] Ballast ?

Slim Chance slimsails at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 02:21:31 EST 2012

John, I referred to a catastrophe thinking about bolting something to the
hull which I assume would mean drilling some holes, then later deciding to
reverse the procedure and would have to question my confidence in my fiber
glass repair skills. If you have that confidence and also the need to
"tinker" then by all means go ahead. Myself, I'd worry about leaks or other
unforeseen problems down the road.

As for the daggerboard and torpedo bulb, you'd have to rework the whole
interior cap design, give up space in the cabin, engineer a lifting
mechanism and run the risk of the bulb breaking off, which caused an
infamous immediate turtleing of a small craft in the Atlantic a number of
years ago. To undergo that extensive of modification would take a much
braver man than I. But again, it's your boat. Are you sure you wouldn't be
happier just buying a small, full keel boat like a Cape Dory or a Flicka
instead of trying to reinvent the wheel?

Re high wind sailing performance, no doubt at all that hanked on jibs will
out-perform my 175 w/luff pad roller any day. When you roll that big thing
up to 25-50% it's not going to have good shape. I'm just not the type of
sailor to give up the convenience of the roller for extra performance
upwind. I don't want to go forward to change headsails in 30 knots of wind,
nor would I ask my crew, if any, to do that.
Let us know what you decide and good luck!
Slim