[Rhodes22-list] Ballast ?

Goodness spreadgoodnews at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 21:00:14 EST 2012

I like your cognitive rumination.  I like your idea to play with some extra ballast.  Having a torpedo centerboard with the weight would be good because you can reverse it by putting your 70# diamondboard back in.  But you may need to add a winch and some stainless cable to lift a 200# board.
As an alternative, try the physics of this idea.  In fact its not my idea but was on one of the participants of everglades challenge.  Put the weight equally divided on each side.  Under the port settee and under the galley against the hull outside the fore and aft stringers, not centerline.  Use coated lead shot weights like ankle weights or dive weights.  The idea is that as the hull heels you cantelever the weight out. The rhodes hull shape would make this work exceptionally well to my eye.