[Rhodes22-list] GPS Choice

cowie ccowie at cowieassociates.com
Wed Jan 25 17:53:58 EST 2012

I researched various options in 2008 and concluded the Garmin 545s with a
surface mounted transducer mounted in the lazaret would work best for my
needs.  The display can withstand rain and provides speed, depth, chart,
location, trip planing etc... works fine for me.  I also like the idea of
ipad and iphone technology as it is easy to update and get additional
information.  I have a $4.99 app for my iphone that provides AIS information
for large tugs and tankers traveling out on the Chesapeake Bay.  The iphone
display is small and I worry about an ipad out in the elements.

My model is several years old but here is a similar model at west marine.  I
will also enclosed a pdf file with a couple of photos of my unit
installation.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=436298&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50157&subdeptNum=50164&classNum=50165

http://old.nabble.com/file/p33204487/gps.pdf gps.pdf