[Rhodes22-list] making pop-top more secure (not more water-tight)

peter klappert peterklappert at comcast.net
Thu Jul 5 02:38:24 EDT 2012

Good to hear from you Chris. I've lost track of where you've been traveling. & I'm not sure I ever adequately thanked you for the collectors edition of Desolation Sound 2011. Funny: last week I got a call out of the blue from Gary Geddes, a Canadian writer (& sailor) I knew about 15 years ago. He & his wife live on Thetis Island, which is (I gather) near but not in Desolation Sound.

I'm not sure I completely understand your solution. The fast pins go in from inside/below, I take it. That sounds good for heavy weather, but if you have the pins in and want to leave the boat, how do you close off the companionway? & if they're outside, why can't a burglar just pull them out?

I understand Rummy's reasons for NOT locking up too tight, though I like your suggestion for heavy weather.

I got a set of ball-lok quick-release pins for the turnbuckles. West Marine no longer sells them & the only ones I could find are expensive. I think I only went ahead and bought them because I'd already put so much time into tracking them down.