[Rhodes22-list] Lake George Boat

Jason Hovak jhovak at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 19 00:17:38 EDT 2012

Thanks for all of the great replies.

As an update, I was able to make it up there this afternoon to get a look at this boat.  Although the dealer had said it sold this morning, I still decided to make the trip and climb aboard, as I haven't seen one in person yet.  In addition, he mentioned they had a few other boats in the same category.

To make a long story short, I only looked at one boat in the "category", a hunter 23 with a wing keel.  They were unable to locate a Tanzer they said they had, and on top of that they were unable to get me aboard the Rhodes.  I realize that it had been sold and wouldn't be a sale for them, but I had hoped to see what a 15k asking price looked like.  Unfortunately It was locked, and they made next to no effort to get me aboard.  In fact they had a second Rhodes there and were also unable to get me aboard that one as well, although it was a customer boat, perhaps the one Stephen spoke of.

Stephen, I appreciate you candor about Yankee Boating Center, indeed my impression could have been much better based on my visit.  I was surprised at the amount of junk on the boats and general condition.  A good cleaning and coat of polish go a long way and I didn't get the impression that they would even bother.  Don't get me wrong they were not rude, and were somewhat accommodating, but I got the feeling that sail just happened to be an evil of their business they could do without.

So I've been in contact with Stan and am going to get on the list for recycled boats.  As many of you have mentioned it had occurred to me that I may find a better deal in a recycled boat, but having not been aboard one, I wanted to shoot for the local, I thought, easy option.  My next objective is to get aboard one and see if I'm focusing my efforts in the right direction.  I will follow up on the other local leads and see what I come up with, and I plan to be in Annapolis for the show as a last resort.

Thanks Again,
Jason