[Rhodes22-list] "shrinking" rudder outhaul brake stud

Mike Cheung hmcheung57 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 16:49:36 EDT 2012

To close the loop on this one ....

The stud is either a carriage bolt or something close to it that passes
through a 1/4-20 clearance hole from behind and engages the handle on the
rudder brake/lock.  I couldn't just pull it even with the knob because the
threads loosely engaged the UHMWPE and fought me (successfully).  The double
nutting strategy worked like a champ and I was able to back the stud out to
its fully extended position and reassemble everything.  I didn't do anything
to prevent this from happening again so, for now, I'll just have to watch
it.

Mike Cheung wrote:

> Searched the archives, but didn't find any info on this issue.  Then
> again, I am not sure I thought of the right keywords to search on either.
> The stud (looks to be 1/4-20) that is part of the rudder outhaul line (the
> red line on my boat) brake or lock has been shrinking.  It's to the point
> that when I loosen the rudder lock to raise the rudder the knob often
> comes off and it's the devil's own time to get it back on.  I believe what
> has happened is that the stud is threaded directly into the "starboard"
> block that sits between the two rudder "cheeks" and that as I've
> tightened, perhaps overtightened, the rudder lock I've turned the stud and
> run it further into the block.  I'm going to head out to s/v Muireann
> tomorrow to attempt a repair, but wondered if anyone else has had this
> happen?
>
> The fix I'm thinking of trying is to use three 1/4-20 nuts; running one
> all the way down to the block to serve as a marker or index and the other
> two to be turned "against" each other on the stud so I can use the inward
> one to back the stud out of the block approximately 1/4 inch or so to give
> the knob more "purchase" on the stud.  Any feedback on my proposed repair
> are welcome.
>
> Thanks and happy sailing.

-----
Mike Cheung