[Rhodes22-list] failure of mast step

Richard MacArthur Richard at MacArthurLawFirm.com
Tue Mar 20 14:14:36 EDT 2012

I use Stan's mast crane system to raise and lower my imf mast. It works well but I see that the part that takes the greatest stress is the mast step or tabernacle. It's fixed to the cabin top by screws which seem to be a non stainless steel metal. These have been out in the weather for quite some time and are subject to corrosion. Has anyone had these screws fail which would allow the mast to fall? Would it be a big project to replace them with stainless steel? Another possible problem is that the cabin top portion that the screws go into has deteriorated from water leaking into the area although that doesn't seem to be a problem in my boat. Any thoughts on this?