[Rhodes22-list] failure of mast step

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Wed Mar 21 10:46:25 EDT 2012

Hi Richard,
The only failure we've experienced in 15 years of raising and
lowering the mast is when we had an improper set-up for raising and
lowering - failure to push the poptop slider closed which pried up
the tabernacle. When that happened the set-up worked as it was
supposed to - it pulled the screws up out of the cabin top. They
didn't break but if I recall correctly they bent and we replaced them
- probably with stainless but I don't remember. As Rummy says the
repair itself was simple: a bit of epoxy and new screws. May have
been some caulk involved. The only time those screws take any load is
during mast raising and lowering.

Best,
Mary Lou