[Rhodes22-list] Outboard Motor

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Wed May 2 09:00:25 EDT 2012

Hi Jim,
Where do you sail? What Kind of conditions do you encounter? How much
will you use your motor?

Most of the time our Yamaha 8 high thrust is overkill. It's too heavy
for the boat balance (but seems ok for the motor mount - ours is
manual mount). We chose it because we wanted the quiet of a
four-stroke - we do a lot of motoring - sometimes whole days of it
getting from one place to another. We also wanted a lot of hp to
counteract strong currents, winds and waves. We've motored
successfully into 20 knot winds and 3 foot waves and maneuvered well
in the strong currents in places like the area in front of the
drawbridge at Kent Narrows on the Upper Chesapeake while we were
waiting for it to open. If we were lake sailing or even only
daysailing on the Chesapeake we might have gone for a 5 or 6hp motor.
It's my opinion that you don't gain anything by having a 9 or a 10
horse over the 8.

I believe ours is a long shaft.

We went with the Yamaha because we keep the boat in the slip in salt
water and the Yamahas at the time could be flushed easily with a
garden hose in the slip. It has an easily accessible flushing
connection. At the time we bought ours, Yamaha's HT models had high
thrust gearing as well as the prop. Looks like the smallest high
thrust model is now a 9.9 - some of which weigh about the same as
ours 110 lbs, I think.

Mary Lou