[Rhodes22-list] Lead Belly : report on ballast experiment

John Shulick jsbudda at verizon.net
Sun May 6 19:13:34 EDT 2012

Hi All,

 Since the last discussion on this topic I found a guy who had a quantity of
lead ingots ~ 2"x 1" got 350 lbs for scrap prices and got a half dozen
tupper ware knockoffs at the dollar store. each container weighed in at 33
lbs and were placed in the hall between the V-berth and the galley (see
pict) the other 150 lbs went in the galley under the cabin floor encased in
pvc pipes and sealed with resin. They are secured to prevent movement but
are NOT set up for blue water conditions. That supposes the boat rolls 360*
and that just is not going to happen at lake dinky which is where I'm
currently sailing. At any rate the change in the boats performance is
amazing! I've been out 3 times in 3 different wind speeds and from all sails
out ghosting to full reef (boom up 2nd reef on main 1/3 genny out and in 12
- 18 mph wind the boat settles in at 10* list and turns into a wind machine.
You can actually get up and mix a drink without the boat changing course 30*
by moving around. Good news thanks for the idea of weight distribution. It
seems to work.
http://old.nabble.com/file/p33763512/DSC_0007.jpg

John S.