[Rhodes22-list] Lead Belly : report on ballast experiment

John Shulick jsbudda at verizon.net
Wed May 9 19:55:42 EDT 2012

Lee,

 Now that I've established what I feel is a max limit (total ballast ~ 1000
lbs. give or take a few) the next step is to remove some and play around
with the ballast distribution to trim things out a bit and find the right
balance. Right now the boat is a bit sluggish in a almost no wind but beyond
that it just keeps getting better and better. For the next configuration I
will remove 33 lbs from each side and see what that does.

 You must keep in mind that my old Rhodes is lighter than a new or recycled
model.

standard  4 stroke engine ~ 100 lbs            my 2 stroke engine ~ 50 lbs
1 maybe 2 batteries ~ 75 150 lbs               me 0
full head holding tank and 15 gal h2o          2 gal camping jug ~ 17 lbs
15 x 8.33 = 125 lbs                                   Porta potty ~ 35 lbs
total 300 375 lbs                                       total 102 lbs

 In a way I'm just catching up with the fleet but I'm willing to bet an IMF
is heaver that a standard mast, that would tip the scales in my favor for
stiffness.

 Stan still follows the list and I would welcome his input into this
discussion. His thoughts on carbon fiber masts would interest me. Budget
restrictions prevent that experiment at this time but the price is coming
down brother and the time will come.

 More will come as the experiment continues this summer. I still feel you
get the most gain for the least weight added by putting it on the bottom of
the shoal keel but that will mod have to wait for now.There's sailing to be
done.

Best to all

John S