[Rhodes22-list] "shrinking" rudder outhaul brake stud

Mike Cheung hmcheung57 at gmail.com
Tue May 29 06:48:48 EDT 2012

Will try to get pics later today if I don't otherwise resolve the issue,
Rummy.  Yeah, I agree if the  threads in the UHMWPE  (Ultra High Molecular
Weight Poly-Ethylene) are stripped either a larger stud (problematic because
the brake/lock knob has a female threaded insert sized for the original
stud) or perhaps a "helicoil" type repair (probably the way I'd go given a
choice) will be required.  My initial inspection gives me hope that the
threads in the UHMWPE piece are intact and I simply turned the stud in those
threads, thus shortening the exposed portion which the brake/lock knob
engages.

I have an email in to the Commodore asking his advice too.  It's possible
that it only looks like the stud is threaded into the UHMWPE block and is
either double nutted on the backside or perhaps is a carriage bolt or
hexbolt; although my overtightening of the brake/lock knob could still have
run the stud in if it made decent contact with the UHMWPE.  In which case,
the three nut repair scheme might still work.  Unfortunately with the boat
in the water, it's hard to even try to get a look from the other side to see
if the back of this assembly can be glimpsed; I'll bring an inspection
mirror today if I can find one and see if I can get a peek.

-----