[Rhodes22-list] N.E Rhodies/Sandy info

Jay Friedland jsail1 at verizon.net
Mon Oct 29 08:55:37 EDT 2012

We're mostly evacuated as of yesterday.

 Out of 1,000 mile span, we on Long Beach Island, a half mile wide barrier island are center line of Sandy's track for landfall with 10-15 foot wall of water. A full day and a half before landfall, yesterday was a horrendous trip before dawn to go 4 miles to the marina on the mainland to pull "Wanderlust". the bay we traveled had 4 foot rollers against the gunnels nearly rolling us.

Ironically, Shel Green, former owner of Michael Meltzer's boat was my crew, and John Taafe, another Rhodie, allowed me to store my boat in his yard, high ground on mainland, for a few days. How we are all bound together is a story unto itself.

Add astronomical high tide, our island is expecting to experience the massive wall of water. Rob's home is on the beach, but just behind a 22 ft berm built this year to protect much of the beachfront. More critical is that the 18-mile long island is on a Northeast/Southwest line with other barrier islands and has a huge bay behind.  Barnegat Bay gets cut off from outgoing tides with Northeast winds. So ocean tides come in the inlets, but the winds cut off the outflow. As we go through successive tide cycles, the water builds in the bay over a 2-3 day storm period. Those are "typical" nor'easters". This is not. Even yesterday, well before the storm, the 25-30 kt. winds pushed water over my girlfriend's bulkhead. This build-up in the past has cut the island in sections with bay meeting ocean only twice since 1900. By predictions, this rivals anything we've ever experienced in history-the big one.