[Rhodes22-list] Advice

Lowe, Rob rlowe at vt.edu
Mon Oct 29 10:30:19 EDT 2012

Ron,
I agree with the visualization technique.  I'm very fortunate that the prevailing wind is on the nose of the boat when I dock but even the varying wind strength makes each docking different.  For every docking, I explain to my dock hand (the admiral) what to expect the wind to do to us and what my approach plan is.  I tell her what I plan to do and where I plan to approach the dock and how hard and at what speed since even that can vary.  I'll even describe under what conditions I'll bail and try again.  Lately I've been coming in a bit hard since the wind tends to blow me out of my slip.  Come in hard and throw her into reverse not only defeats the wind but brings my aft right up against the dock where I can grab the mooring line.  I just have to remember not to leave it in reverse or I get pulled back out of the slip.  So visualize, communicate, and practice!  I've been at this nine years now and I've almost got this down (for this slip anyway). - rob