[Rhodes22-list] Dinghy Selection

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Thu Sep 20 08:10:20 EDT 2012

Hi Jay,
What will you use the dinghy for? Ferrying people back and forth to
shore or exploring an anchorage? Carrying stuff besides two people.
How much distance or "rough water" are you contemplating? the answers
to all of those questions would affect the choice of a dinghy.

For years we used one of the cheap inflatable boats from Sevylor (not
their cheapest - I believe it was a Caravelle II, 3 person. I say was
because we haven't inflated it for several years but after 10 years
of very intermittent use, it was still hold air. It stored in a
larger Rubbermaid container under the seats in the cockpit. Very
convenient. Easy to inflate and deflate.

It was pretty tricky climbing over the stern rail, down the swim
ladder and into the boat. The space between the swim ladder and the
rudder was just enough to hold the dinghy in place so you could climb
in. We got pretty good after it after a few wet boardings.

We have inflatable one person kayaks. They are West Marine Advance
Element Scouts.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=686619&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50596&subdeptNum=50620&classNum=50622#.UFsFWFFvFc4
(You'll probably have to cut and paste that URL)
Because of the aluminum frame in the bow and stern they paddle more
like hard kayaks, tracking pretty well. They may also take up a bit
more space when folded up than some of the other inflatable kayaks.
Advanced Elements makes two person kayaks as well but I don't think
West sells them. http://www.advancedelements.com/

We have had people with Sea Eagle kayaks stop and ask us about ours
saying that theirs don't track very well. Sea Eagle makes a wider
variety of inflatable boats not just kayaks.

That said we haven't tried to climb from the boat down into the
kayaks yet. I suspect it would be trickier. While the kayaks are very
stable for paddling getting them close enough to the stern ladder for
climbing aboard might be tricky.

Best of luck. Let us know what you decide on and how it works out.

Best,
Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD