[Rhodes22-list] Pop Top Enclosure

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Mon Sep 24 22:43:08 EDT 2012

Hi David,
Our first pop-top enclosure was one we bought used from Stan. We
added screens to the back door (which unlike the newer ones, had no
screens or window.) We used it so much we wore it out and purchased a
new one a couple of years ago. We haven't been sailing nearly as much
since and haven't used it much but we like it a lot. The new one has
a window in the back door with a screen. The enclosure has fairly
good ventilation with side and back window screens. We added a zip-in
piece of screening so we could prop the front open and still have
some mosquito protection. However, if it's raining you need to close
the windows.

We never left it in place for sailing - the boat has enough windage
without that added to it but it is easy to put up and take down. We
substituted twistlock fasteners for the snaps with the new one and
that makes it even quicker to set up or take down. The only thing I
don't like about the fasteners is that the ones in front tend to snag
the jib sheets. If I had it to do over, I'd use snaps there and the
twistlock fasteners everywhere else.

We usually sail with the boom in the upper position (more room in the
cockpit) and the poptop in the lower position (less windage, less
likely to take a big powerboat wake into the cabin.) The only time we
use the boom in the lower position is when the wind picks up and we
want to lower the center of effort. It makes a major difference and
can be done underway (assuming the IMF main).

The utility of the poptop enclosure depends on how you are going to
use the boat. If you are going out overnight, sleep in the cabin and
stay in places with lots of mosquitoes it's priceless. We spent every
weekend on the boat from May to November for 7 years. We couldn't
have done that without the poptop enclosure.

Best,
Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD