[Rhodes22-list] Introduction

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Sat Sep 29 17:28:44 EDT 2012

Sean,

This is one sailor's opinion and as you can see from previous discussions a
lot of people prefer a smaller Genoa for good reasons.

The 175 is too big for most conditions.  If you're on a close reach you'll
need 3 knots of wind to inflate it and after 5 knots you often don't gain
any speed and may get more than a comfortable heel.  If you're on a beam
reach, broad reach or run you'll likely need a pole to keep the monster out
and away from the boat.

Any time you furl a head sail it will negatively affect it's shape and
you're right that the more you furl the worst the shape.  I've furled mine
down to the size of half a bikini top and I'm almost positive it slowed me
down at least a tenth of a knot.  Think about the angle of attack of the
wind on your furled Genoa.  On a starboard tack the wind is hitting it like
an unfurled sail.  On a port tack the wind has to come around that big
telephone pole of a furl before it hits your sail.  You could argue that the
big furl adds tremendous drag, as does the rest of your boat and most things
on it.  I can't speak to a partially-furled sail having more of a belly,
since my belly has long been blown out.  I assume you can pull the foot of
the sail just as tight as a hank-on sail.

My boat came with the 175% Genoa.  Had she come with a 130 or larger I
wouldn't have replaced it and I'm sure I would be completely happy.  When it
comes time to replace it I'll get another 175.  I may not use the whole dang
thing very often but when I do it's a thing of beauty.  In the right
conditions it can add a lot of power.

I can't be too picky when I sail and often do in light winds.  If I only
went out in heavier winds I would definitely consider a smaller Genoa.

Good luck!

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  AT EASE
Kent Island, MD