[Rhodes22-list] Introduction

Sean St. Onge seanstonge at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 29 15:28:50 EDT 2012

Lee,
Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, you're right, I could probably live without most of those things, but but of course why would I want to?
Obviously sailing is a lot of fun, but it's also a big chore, and that's the part I'd like to minimize.
I never want the thought of the work involved to influence my decision whether or not to take my boat out on a given day.
I know what you mean about captains not wanting to bother with all the sails. I see that all the time on 30+ foot boats around here. I even saw that on a ~40 foot ketch a few weeks ago.
The Islander36 looks really nice, but that cockpit seems really small for a boat that size. I was on a Hunter 326 yesterday, and while there's plenty of seating room in the cockpit, switching sides
becomes a game of musical chairs, since the helm/helmsperson and folding table forced us to walk single file between the table and the cabin trunk. I suppose I shouldn't be evaluating cruisers
with the mindset of a daysailor, but I just can't help it.
Did you have the roller furling 175% Genoa as well? What are your thoughts on that? When I was looking through the mailing list archives, I read that it can't really be furled too much without
ruining its shape, and that it isn't really "one jib for all conditions."

Thanks and good luck to you too,

Sean