[Rhodes22-list] Bow Chocks

Dennis mcneelyd at site-solutions.com
Tue Apr 9 20:05:46 EDT 2013

Butyl tape is my bedding material of choice too, Graham. Stays flexible
almost forever, seals well to both hardware and fiberglass, and stretches
readily without breaking those seals. Scroll to the bottom of the page at
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/butyl_tape for an "I'll believe it when I
see it" demonstration.

The chop kicks up quickly on Lake Erie when the wind picks up, and spray
keeps the foredeck wet almost continually. I was doing well avoiding the
bigger waves one day last year - until barreling into a sizeable wave and
having about 2 - 3" of green water sluice across the foredeck. The water
continued sluicing over Sandi, who gave me a dark, wet look - (do 'looks'
get any worse?)

I didn't even ask - time to head back to the dock.

But I digress. I'm not affiliated with the butyl tape supplier above - but I
own two rolls of the stuff and have been slowly rebedding all the hardware
and ports with it.

And now, if you'll excuse me - spring is springing without me ;)

Dennis

www.great-loop.us
s/v Magic Moments
berthed in Gibraltar, Michigan