[Rhodes22-list] Fat Rigged IMF

PBR pbryanriley at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 09:43:26 EDT 2013

Rummy,
I still consider myself a Rookie Rhodie so I can't claim I have a real need
for a larger main sail but I offer the following reasons why I am
"interested".
1) If Stan is looking into it, it must be worth looking into.
2) I have struggled with tacking the 175 in light winds without hangups and
I have struggled to point upwind as well as I would like. I have considered
a smaller genoa or jib, but I don't want to be limited in sail area.  The
SA/D numbers are not impressive with small main and smaller jib.   If I had
a larger main, maybe I could give up some sq. ft up front.  As you say, the
handling could change.
(I have added some telltales at intermediate points on the 175 this year,
so maybe I will have better luck pointing when reefed - I am also going to
install hardware on cabin top to sheet inside the stays)
-Patrick