[Rhodes22-list] Sail Area

Charles Nieman blue66corvette at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 16 12:28:14 EDT 2013

I usually do not weight in on these discussions; but this time I will. My old 84 had a standard furling main and a 175; in light air the 175 was too heavy to really do much good, and in adequate air, I would usually have it all out and I am now convinced that was too much sail.... on my "new" 98, I have a battened furling main and a 150, also a UPS when I want it ..... I do not use the UPS in more than 4-5 mph...and the 150 and batten main is a much better rig than the 175 and standard main..... I am pretty certain this is more a factor of thje cartin's limit in abilities and understanding than anything about the boat and/or sail arrangement... I sail on a smallish inland lake (I do live in the DFW area after all)....and am usually having to fight the wind, probably cuz I am like Lee in that I usually have too much sail out and I like to sail with the boom up (part of vbeing 6'-1") .....

Just my thoughts, and probably worth what you paid for them...

Charles
s/v Day Dreams
98 Rhodes 22