[Rhodes22-list] Winch

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Tue Apr 23 13:04:52 EDT 2013

You have to remove the barrel of the winch to get at the bolts. There should
be a spring clip holding it on at the top around the hole for the winch
handle.

As for missing nuts. I found that on my older Rhodes (1974) nuts were
missing everywhere. The genoa tracks had no nuts! I could tell that they
hadn't just fallen off because the bolts were too short to leave any thread
available for the nuts. The tracks stayed in place (40 years!) because the
bolt treads were screwed into the fibreglass. That says something about the
strength of fibreglass but it is hardly adequate. The other impact of
threading into the fibreglass is that where every bolt went through the gel
coat has spider cracks.

The same was true for the transom u bolts - no nuts.

I suspect that this problem was characteristic of only the earlier boats and
that later years quality control problems were fixed. But, if you have an
older boat I would get down under the seat and make sure there are nuts on
the winches, genoa track and transom U bolts. One of these bits of hardware
breaking loose under heavy winds could be  very serious.

Graham Stewart