[Rhodes22-list] (Joe's Centerboard Woes)

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Thu Aug 1 08:05:30 EDT 2013

Hi Rummy,
If I have the sequence of events with Joe's cb correct I would still
suspect marine growth. It has been very bad in the Bay this year.
It's been a couple of weeks since we've lowered and raised our board
and I suspect that by the time we get to the boat in another week or
so, ours won't want to go down all the way either. We've had the
issue every year the boat has been lightly used. Joe's in fresher
water up where he is but he should check the bottoms of neighboring booats.

This is how I understand the sequence of events. Board snags on
trailer in April. They got the board back up and launched the boat.
The centerboard worked properly after that. Some time later after a
period of inactivity, the centerboard won't drop all the way. Joe
reported that after a lot of raise and release, the board is going
down a little further. This is typical of what happens with marine
growth at the bottom of the centerboard trunk.

Joe didn't say if the board is binding on the way up or just not
going all the way down. While I agree that I wouldn't force it, I
wouldn't be all to eager pull the boat and remove the cap - yet.

Mary Lou