[Rhodes22-list] Outhaul rigging questions

Cover-Man cover-man at comcast.net
Tue Aug 20 14:06:03 EDT 2013

Guys,

In a pinch, maybe even for longer, the slot on the boom will well accommodate a simple sail slug, some all nylon, some with a SS bail on the top, the latter probably much more durable. If the clew and the slug are joined together with a snap or caribiner arrangement, even rigging line, the outhaul can accomplish the intended purpose, although not as sexy looking.  The desired mechanical advantage in the outhaul can be found in using a block with the outhaul.  For reference look at West Marine nos. 269-0857, 269-0881, or 269-0931.

Rube Goldberg

Have a nice day!