[Rhodes22-list] Centerboard replacement.

sprocket80 sprocket80 at mail.com
Fri Dec 13 07:43:54 EST 2013

James,

Unless you are very very serious and well experienced working with fiberglass and epoxy, I would not advise modifying the centerboard trunk. Putting grooves inside the trunk would be extremely difficult because of how narrow the slot is. Plus, there is no way to know if the walls of the trunk are thick enough to groove out.

I think the new boats still use the same rudder. You might be able to convince Stan at General boats sell you a used rudder blade.

Todd T.
--
Sent from my Android phone with mail.com Mail. Please excuse my brevity.

James Nichols <jfn302 at yahoo.com> wrote:

Thanks Tom, I'm certain at some point one of the previous owners lost their rudder and decided that because the centerboard and the rudder are the same shape they could use it to steer and still sail because of the keel's ballast, they were also just sailing the boat on a small sheltered lake. I've read of Rhodes 22s that were sailed without their centerboard, but I'd like to get this one back where it goes.  I'll get some pictures as I go, but I'm sure it's just like you described.  I'll find the hole that the pin belongs in as I clear more of the foam and clean up the outsides of the keel. I wonder if it would be a good idea to open up the top of the trunk and put the grooves into the side of the trunk the way the newer trunks are made? James

Sent from Yahoo! Mail for Windows 8