[Rhodes22-list] Centerboard replacement.

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Fri Dec 13 07:57:14 EST 2013

James,

Welcome aboard!

Wichita may not be the birthplace of our boats but there's a strong
connection:

"The Picnic 17 sailboat was designed by Nils Lucander for Stan Spitzer in
1959. Stan wrote that about 350 Picnics were produced by several companies,
including one in Nova Scotia. Most of the Picnics were built by Lofland
Sail-Craft, Inc. of Wichita, Kansas. Francis Lofland and Stan Spitzer worked
together building and selling boats until the early 70s, when Lofland
retired for medical reasons. Lofland also built the Snipe, Flying Scott and
perhaps other boats. Lofland passed away several years ago but Stan Spitzer
is still actively involved with General Boats. The Picnic later evolved into
the Rhodes22 which is sold by General Boats, now located in North Carolina
http://www.rhodes22.com/home.html"

"The Rhodes you see today was born in the seventies from the plottings of
world famous naval architect Philip Rhodes, humanized by the Wichita
industrial design team of Ten Eyke Associates of airplane design and
nurtured by Rhodes owners from coast to coast with ongoing input that has
been priceless."

I think the Coleman iceboxes on most of our boats came out of Wichita.

Not that I'm in to Kansas; but I went to high school in Hays, college in
Manhattan, and have a boatload of relatives in the Wichita area (mostly
Andale).  Some of them are probably Nichols.

Good luck with your recycling project!

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  AT EASE
Kent Island, MD