[Rhodes22-list] Centerboard replacement.

Lou Rosenberg lsr3 at nyu.edu
Fri Dec 20 13:24:08 EST 2013

James,

I renovated my '81 centerboard trunk and mechanism.  While its a totally
different design than what you have in front of you, I recommend trying to
re create what Stan had in that era of R22s.   Try to create a two piece
(cap and flange ) system with a recessed "V" inside your trunk to hold the
pivot pin.
If for some reason you have no access to pics of this, I can supply some
directly to you.

I have documented my renovation in the Owner's site in the section under
technical details I believe.
Roger Pihlaja did most of the writing on the structural details of the
cement and glass work. I followed his online instructions and did the job
alone. I took one year of hard labor but it was worth it.  Since then I ve
re lined my centerboard cap and flange with Garolite (1/4") to make a firm
seal.  I have not had any issues since but am very curious to know how far
you took your restoration of the hull.

I plan to add stringers under my cockpit and remove the fwd foam to also
strengthen the glass from inside my boat.  I had a major issue with boat pox
which resulted in small hull leaks.

Good luck with your endeavor.

Lou Rosenberg
s/v Miracles