[Rhodes22-list] Hull strengthening

Graham Stewart gstewart8 at cogeco.ca
Fri Dec 20 14:07:53 EST 2013

Lou plans to strengthen his hull and I was considering the same since I have
the interior of my 76 completely stripped out. It seems like the opportune
time to do so if it is worthwhile and if I had some idea of what was needed.
It would only be feasible to do the main cabin and possible the forward area
if I remove the foam. I am not sure how the foam is held in place and how I
would reattach it.

Has anyone done this or do they have any technical thoughts about how many
layers of fibreglass should be added? Is it really worth the effort?

The reasons I am thinking about this is that I understand that later boats
have a heavier layup and I assume there was a good reason for that and
because the hull seems overly flexible and has taken a dent where the
forward starboard strut of the trailer presses on the hull. I jacked the
boat up about 2 years ago and most of the dent has come out, but I thought
that some strengthening - perhaps with strengthening ribs of some sort might
be prevent the impression from forming again when the boat is lowered back
on the bunk.

 I would value thought from those who might know more about whether and/or
how to proceed.